Sunday, November 4, 2012

Contact

I really like the movie Contact. It is one of my favorite movies we have watched in class so far. I like that the plot of the story seems almost realistic. The movie uses realistic places and realistic scenarios. I think Jodie Foster does a really good job in this movie too. Her portrayal so far of the determined scientist is impressive. 

So far Contact has not seemed very much like a science fiction movie other than the alien radio signals. The aliens are the only scifi element in the movie. 
I also think the movie accurately portrays the argument between scientists about the exploration of space. Ellie is the side that wants to find extraterrestrial life. She has a job with SETI, which it seems like many scientists don't necessarily respect. Hadden and other scientists the movie mentions represent the other side of the argument. The skeptical side that says looking for E.T. is a waste of time. This side looses a lot of respect for scientists who do look for E.T. I personally think that looking for E.T. is not worth it. The quote from the movie that says "But I guess I'd say if it is just us... seems like an awful waste of space." I think that is true. If it is really just us, the galaxies are just a really big waste of space.

No comments:

Post a Comment